New Philadelphia, IL – Mound Township
New Philadelphia was laid out in 1857 by Lloyd Thomas when the Toledo, Peoria & Warsaw Railroad first surveyed to pass through that area.
When the railroad was eventually run a half mile north of the original survey, Mr. P. Wilson and J.H. Langford, in 1866 laid out the town at that location changing the name from New Philadelphia to Grant. However, the name didn’t stick.