Old Macomb Cemetery
Also called “Old McDonough Cemetery” and more recently known as the “Wigwam Hollow Cemetery,” this cemetery was formally established in 1836 when Robert Garrett sold two acres to McDonough County Commissioners “for the use of the people of McDonough County as a public burial ground.”
The site was a burial ground already in 1830, when a child of Peter Hale was interred there, on what, at that time was Hall’s or Hale’s property. This is the final resting place for veterans of the Black Hawk War, Mexican War, and Civil War. Some headstones are the work of the pioneer stone carver, John Long, and are the oldest historic artifacts in the county.